Sunday 6 January 2008

Supermarket Attack

A TERRIFIED man escaped from serious injuries after a youth attacked him at a supermarket car park in Colindale, on Monday night.

Student Rob Clement, 22, was left with a bruised arm and swollen neck after being hurled across the concrete ground by the youngster, when refusing to purchase alcohol for him from Asda.

His injuries could have been far worse had he not protected his face with his hands when he hit the floor by the sudden blow.

The incident happened as the London business student was walking unaccompanied from the car park towards the cash machines, inserted outside the walls of the shopping store, when the youth suddenly pounced on him.

Mr. Clement, still recovering from shock said: “He came out of nowhere. I was on my own and he must have seen me walking towards the cash machines. That’s when he got his chance”.

The attacker, who is thought to be in his early teens, 5ft 6, and wearing a grey Nike hooded top, became abusive when Mr. Clement persistently rejected his offer to buy four cans of Budweiser for him.

Although politely answering no for the third time, the youth lost his temper and took a massive swipe at him before he fled.

Employees and customers from the 24 hour open Asda store were alarmed by the sudden attack, leaving many frightened to enter the usually busy car park alone.

Part-time photo assistant, Shezad Parker, 19, said: “There are kids roaming around everywhere. It’s not safe to walk out the door nowadays because you just don’t know what will happen”.

Police are treating this as an unprovoked attack and are appealing to any witnesses to come forward by calling 0208 757 348 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

1 comment:

Maitreyi Basu said...

Self-reflective Report: Supermarket Attack 4

By regularly visiting this particular Asda store, I formed good contacts with certain colleagues who informed me if any significant news arose.

The victim is a frequent customer at this store, which made contacting him a straightforward task.

This was the first time I interviewed a victim of crime and deliberated on how to conduct the interview with ease. As I started firing questions, I noticed I enjoyed the compelling task and felt less hesitant, allowing the conversation to flow more easily.

The story was aimed to be written as a short nib, but it needed to be elaborated to fit in all the necessary details. I had to chop up irrelevant material which was overwritten in certain segments, to keep the story consistent and balanced.

The second paragraph was the hardest section to craft. I tried to cram too much detail with lengthy sentences, which needed to be edited and re-written several times to keep the content concise. By squeezing in essential information into two sentences was something I wasn’t familiar with doing, and I found problems in grasping the technique. The method was testing but gave me an understanding of how articles were presented in newspapers-brief, precise and with descriptive action words-all which I tried to merge into my article.

I rang the Met police to question whether the case was being investigated, and whether they had any further details on the attacker, as I wanted to include a follow-up article of the latest news. I found the police were reluctant to assist which was frustrating as the article could have developed. Security staffs at Asda were also uncooperative when I asked them whether CCTV cameras installed captured the attack. If further enquiries were established then a more defined article could have been achieved.